Will Oilogic or Essential Oils Irritate My Child's Skin?
- While Oilogic Essential Oil Blends are properly diluted for little ones, please perform a patch test before use by applying a dime size amount of product to forearm. Usually reactions occur within 5-10 minutes, however after an hour, if there is any adverse reaction, discontinue use of the product.
- The bottom of the feet is the safest and most effective place to test and use essential oils on children.
- If your child experiences a hot or burning sensation or if you develop a rash, discontinue use of the product.
- Never use water in an attempt to flush the oil off the skin, as this may increase discomfort. Instead use a carrier oil, like olive oil, vegetable oil or coconut oil.
- If redness, burning, itching or irritation occurs, stop using the oils immediately.
- Avoid essential oil contact with sensitive areas such as eyes, ears, genitals and mucous membranes.
- Never use Essential Oil products on the face of a child.
How Often Can Essential Oils Be Applied? How Much Do I Use?
- The idea of “if a little is good, a lot is better” is not always correct….especially with essential oils. In most cases 1-2 applications a day is adequate. Excessive use of essential oils may increase the risk for adverse reactions to skin.
- Proper usage is indicated on each Oilogic product label and/or box. Please follow instructions indicated.
Do Not Ingest. But What Happens If My Little One Swallows Oilogic Essential Oil Products?
- If a child or infant should accidentally swallow some essential oils, call your poison control center and/or seek immediate medical emergency help.
What The Heck Is A Carrier Oil and Why Is It Important?
- As we said before, essential oils are powerful. So, to be safe to use on children (and even adults), often times, essential oils have to be diluted with a carrier oil, as the essential oil by itself would be too powerful causing a reaction on the skin.
- We use such oils as Jojoba Oil, Castor Oil, and Coconut Oil, which are all natural, vegetable-based carrier oils and BONUS - they also happen to have some amazing, moisturizing benefits!
What About The Use Of Essential Oils If My Child Has A Medical Condition? Can Essential Oils Interact With Prescription Medications?
- If your child has a disease or medical condition, or if he/she is using a prescription medication, it is recommended that you consult with your doctor prior to using.
What If My Baby Has An Allergy?
- Many people with allergies safely use essential oils and find them highly beneficial. The key here is to test for sensitivity and start with soles of feet.
- Do a skin test of the essential oil if you are using it on a person for the first time. The soles of the feet are the safest place to test, especially if the person has known allergies or sensitivities.
- Always ask about allergies. People with allergies need to be extra cautious when using essential oils. Allergic reactions can happen with oils just as they do with food. Those with asthma, hives, or eczema, have a greater chance for an allergic reaction.
- Please proceed slow and with great caution. Consult with your doctor if any allergic reaction occurs.
- Consult with your doctor prior to using any essential oils if you have specific allergies.
Can Essential Oils Be Used During Pregnancy Or While Nursing?
- As with any medical condition please consult your doctor prior to use. Certain oils should be avoided while pregnant or breastfeeding including, but not limited to, wormwood, rue, oakmoss, camphor, parsley seed, sage, and hyssop.
What Testing Is Done To Ensure The Essential Oils Used In Oilogic Products Are The Best Quality?
- Each one of our oils is 100% pure extracted directly from the plant source and is guaranteed to contain no synthetics or impurities. All of our oils are put through the following quality tests:
- Gas Chromatograph (GC) / Mass Spectrometry (MS) testing
- Microbial testing
- Gardner Color Index
- Refractive Index
So glad I found these products for my kiddo, but can I use this on myself?
- The short answer is....YES!
- The long answer is Yes, but our products are diluted so they are safe on children, so whereas an adult can definitely use them, you may need to use more of our product or use it more often to get the same benefit as a child.
- AND, (I told you this was the long answer), there are certain Essential Oils that are not recommended for little ones, so there is a larger E.O. library to pull from to create a therapeutic blend that may be more effective for an adult than our E.O. blends.
And Last But Not Least..
- Do not try to diagnose or prescribe essential oils for serious health conditions that require professional medical care.